Tuesday, May 14, 2002

blogger fodder: (noun) 1.something interesting that happens in one's life which is out of the ordinary; 2.smooth jazz played incessantly for hours on end without earplugs in sight.

I hate smooth jazz. This is not something new. I have always hated smooth jazz. But I never thought that it could so profoundly affect my life the way that it has.

Today was my first day at work. The hell week of vacation is over. What the heck is that all about? Me, the ever lazy one, hating the fact that I don't have anything to do. When I do have stuff do do I don't do it and when I don't have stuff to do I look for ways to do things. Hmm, sounds like a vaguely familiar argument. You know what I'm talking about.

Today was my first day at work. I got the job through a temp agency, which is an interesting feeling. Me, the college student, using a temp agency. But such are the steps one must take to find a job for a short period of time. That was actually a harder thing than I thought it would be. I had resigned myself to the fact that the upscale agencies that I had interviewed with were not going to work out and I was going to have to apply with the troglodytes of society and work with Able Body. Maybe it was the lowering of my pride, maybe it was blind luck, though I tend to believe it was more of the first. Whatever it was I am now gainfully employed.

Today was my first day at work. I was late. Driving through an unfamiliar part of town and taking a shortcut to bypass rush hour traffic make volatile bedfellows. I drove about twenty minutes out of my way, thus ending up fifteen minutes late. Low and behold, no I am not working at some firm learning something new, no I am not finding out something new about society, no I am working in the front office of an apartment complex. I have spent my fair share of time in apartment offices, just on the other side of the desk.

My job is filled with small insignificant tasks. I filed, I copied, I answered the phone, oh and yeah I rented apartments. It didn't make much sense to me, but on my first day, me, the little two week temp, was in charge of doing all the paper work involved with renting out an apartment unit. Perhaps it was because I was over-dressed in my slacks and tie, or maybe it was their recognition of my innate skill. Whatever it was, I was showing people around a complex I have never seen before, answering questions I really don't know the answers to, and having people fill out forms I don't even know what to do with. It was an interesting situation to say the least.

and all the while the smooth jazz played in the background tearing at each little nerve as it heads to my brain.

While supposing to be background music, there could be nothing more obvious than that god awful sound. I don't know, if it came down to pop or smooth jazz it would be a very close match up. Which one sucked more. I must thank everything that is good in the world though that I decided to bring a book to read during lunch. Homer and I curled up on a couch and disappeared into the ancient world. One where s.j. doesn't exist yet and heros reigned. The world was smaller and epics were a way of life. It was one of the best times I have had recently. Odysseus lived more than I have. I lived somewhere else for fourty-five wonderful minutes, totally oblivious to the muted tv next to me pushing the coaxial garbage of jenny jones.

We'll see what tomorrow brings. Hopefully thicker skin and greater heroic adventures.

No comments: